Tulip care and potting

casablanca99February 8, 2009

Hi all,

I got a pot of tulips yesterday as a gift from my friend. These are my first ever tulips and I am very naive about tulips and their care.

I want to know if I can pot these in my backyard and what care needs to be taken? Is this a good time to plant them outside...I mean with all the snow and cold temperatures outside? I live in columbus, OH and I do not know which zone I fall into.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cassy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostalover360(4)

It is probably not a good idea to plant them outside, it is kinda early for tulips to be growing outside, but you can grow then nicely indoors and they will grow and bloom, then after it warms up outside they can be planted outside, although it may take a few years for the bulbs to get the strength they need to flower, because potted tulips this time of year are normally forced to grow. How big are these tulips?, could you send a photo?

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 7:27PM
annarborman

hi cassy,most potted tulips,or forced bulbs,we find this time of year in garden centers and markets are of the "single early"variety ,although i have seen some "mid" and "late"bloomers.i would wait until you can reasonably work the soil(mid may)to plant your bulbs,however your tulips will hardly resemble what they were the day you received them.let the foliage die back in a brightly lit window and keep watering ,being careful not to have them too wet(drainage holes are always absent)in spring cut off spent foliage and plant in a sunny spot.you can even divide them to cover a larger area.might take a few years to rejuvinate.fertilizer will expidiate this.good luck

Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 2:31PM
gardengal48

I'm not sure I'd bother. Enjoy them now while in bloom, then toss. Tulips flowering now have been forced and while that doesn't mean they can't survive long term, it will take time to regain sufficient bulb energy to produce new flowers. And most hybrid tulips - the ones most commonly found potted up and in bloom at this time of year - are not very perennial in the garden anyway. They don't come back reliably or if they do, produce only sporadic bloom and many gardeners treat them as annuals and replant fresh each year.

Even in my area, which is home to the largest commercial tulip bulb fields outside of Holland, it's nearly impossible to get potted tulips to thrive and rebloom in the garden.

Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 7:13PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

I have to agree with gardengal. Because they were a gift from a friend we would like to keep them as a keepsake. One of the difficult lessons for gardeners, is when to discard a plant. Al

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Relocating daffodils
I have a number of daffodil clumps that are either...
madabouteu
Easter lily
An Easter lily that had finished flowering had been...
yugoslava
Tulips - Darwin Hybrid Pride grp
I am thrilled with the colors. Amazed they are blooming...
irisgal_z9
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Sponsored Products
63" Round Stone Outdoor Marble Mosaic Dining Table - LUXOR
Living'ROC
Palermo Center Cover
$69.50 | FRONTGATE
Campania International 25 in. Rustic Trough Cast Stone Planter - P-651-AL
$449.99 | Hayneedle
Into the Stars Duvet Cover
| Dot & Bo
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Linon Home Decor Rugs New Flokati Black 5 ft. x
Home Depot