Anti-Serissa Snobs

scenterMay 21, 2007

I went to a BYOT* Bonsai workshop this past weekend, I brought three plants to work on:

A Juniperus procumbens 'Nana'

A Juniperus compressus 'Compacta'

and

A Serissa Foetida (Pink flowering)

I got looked at as though I was from Pluto, and had three heads, for daring to bring a Serissa. (Not from everyone there, but enough disturbance to feel uncomfortable)

Prior to this, I had no idea that there were so many people that disdained Serissa. Yes, I had looked into Serissa care, and I know it is finicky, but when I saw one back in February, it melted my heart with all those little pink blossoms, so I bought is as a Potensai (no, it is not a mallsai). Of course, when I got it home, it went and dropped about half its leaves, and all its blossoms. Then it stopped pouting, and since I moved it outside in April, it's been thriving, and is blooming again. (Time will tell if it likes my autumn/winter care)

After the workshop experience, I googled and found a widespread dislike for Serissa on the web. - yikes. Its only a plant folks.

Needless to say, in the workshop, I started working on making the 'Nana' into a cascade style, and the 'Compressa' into a sokan chokkan (twin trunk formal upright). I brought the Serissa home untouched.

Anyone else had this type of experience with Serissa, or another species?

*Bring Your Own Tree

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

You are one of the lucky ones (or instinctively sensitive ones) because for whatever reason, people do have bad luck with them, either by overdoing the care, underdoing it, or just plain ignorance and bad luck.

Bookmark   May 21, 2007 at 7:03PM
More Discussions
Anybody grow mini bonsai Wisteria from seed?
I thought I had American but I now know it is either...
rubyhum
How long for wiring?
When using wires to shape a tree, typically, how long...
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
Japanese Maple Bonsai Tree Started to Sprout
Hello, I am a first time bonsai grower and I bought...
bgardne7
When to prune / re-pot??
If you grow bonsai indoors year around, does it matter...
halocline
American Hornbeam: Leaf Damage, Possible Pest Problem, Need Help!
Hi all, thanks in advance for reading this post and...
ZeBonsai Kers
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™