Remembering last year's late snow storm

zaffisc(Utah)February 26, 2013

Last year in the West Desert of Utah, when the bulbs were in full swing, we had a late snow storm towards the end of April 2012. With all our snowstorms this year, I'm wondering if the same thing will happen again - time will tell.

Thankfully, all these bulbs quickly rebounded, stood up straight again and continued to flower beautifully, after the heavy weight of the snow melted.

There is a row of Muscari right by the sidewalk, then a row of various daylilies, then a back row of Ice Follies and Red Devon Daffodils. They all put on a wonderful exibition right by the front door :-) Candy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zaffisc(Utah)

Can't load 2 pics at once... OK then...

This picture was about 3 weeks before the snowstorm and the Ice Follies were just getting started nicely (26 March 2012). No Muscari had started to bloom yet, neither had the Red Devons.
Candy

This post was edited by zaffisc on Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 12:18

Bookmark   February 26, 2013 at 12:14PM
sandyslopes z5 n. UT

Your bulbs all look happy in that spot. We wait so long to see them again, and it seems like the snow always tries to knock them down. Good thing bulbs are so forgiving. I hope we all get to see our bulbs again soon! I still have several feet of snow in my yard.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 2:48AM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Glad to hear they rebounded, it's a great display and it sounds like you planned a nice range of bloom times to keep things interesting for the whole spring.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 3:29PM
More Discussions
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
Avantika
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Transfer water vase hyacinth bulbs
Hello, I have two hyacinths that were forced in water...
veganinpurrsss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™