Old time spider lilies/ red- small bulb

jolj(7b/8a)February 14, 2011

How far apart should I plant them.

I do not want to dig them too often.

I friend was moving & gave me 50 or so.

I also have N.X mediolutens, it is a wild hybrid of N.poeticus var.recurvus & N. tazetta. Also called "Twin Sisters"

Does anyone know where I can get more twin sisters?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carol23_gw

Old House Gardens sells the Narcissus you want, but you would have to order in autumn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Gardens.

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 12:41PM
carol23_gw

According to some sites, you can plant Lycoris radiata about 4 inches apart if you are planting in groups.

These bulbs do not like being disturbed and might not flower for some time after transplanting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lycoris culture

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 12:45PM
jolj(7b/8a)

car123, thanks,the price of $3.00 each is high. I was giving them away, mostly to get them out there, I only know one person, besides my family who has them. I wanted to make a large bed of them & would gladly pay $1.00 a piece for them. I guess I will have to grow them myself. They are tough little bulbs. We have had them for over 50 years & the home place is taken over by bamboo. I had to cut the root mass out to reach the bulbs.
As for the Lycoris & link ,thank you. The ones I have had not been lifted in 10 years, until I got them last week.

Bookmark   February 15, 2011 at 8:47PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Here is another source for Twin Sisters that is a bit more reasonable American Daffodil Farm 20 for $34.95 or 40 for $59.00.

There is also an ebay seller that has them for sale, but I would not advise buying them from anyone who would be selling and shipping them at this time of the year. They would either be bulbs left over that should have been planted last fall, or else they are being dug now which is certainly not a good time at all. They make no mention of 'fall shipping' or even shipping well after the bloom season for their auction. I'd even be suspicious if they would be the correct cultivar, since they seem to know very little about daffs and the correct time to sell, plant, and ship.

Bookmark   February 16, 2011 at 9:54AM
jolj(7b/8a)

Thanks everyone.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 4:53PM
More Discussions
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™