My tree fell out of it's pot

ryan_tree(7aVA)May 6, 2010

Okay so I fell so much like a beginner for asking this, but one of my Elms fell out of its pot today. I had it in a greenhouse, which I thought was secure, when a strong wind gust came and knocked the grenhouse over. Everything inside the greenhouse fell out of it's pot, so I shouldn't have sai just my elm. But, the elm is the one I am most concerned about. I had just chopped it about a month ago and it was supposed to be recovering.

Anyway, I found the trees lying half in their pots, half out on the ground. I saw the rootball of my elm and it actually looked nice. A lot of white roots had formed and looked good. I quickly gathered all the soil I could and put it back into the pot with the elm.

Long story short, do you think my elm will live?

Thanks!!

Ryan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larke

Unless you were really clumsy and broke all the new roots, or unless it had really dried out but you didn't water after repotting, then I imagine it should be ok.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 7:39PM
ryan_tree(7aVA)

Thanks larke! I think that will live, but my Bald Cypress is probably toast.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 8:01PM
larke

Don't give up on anything! At least give it a chance - lots of water (for the BC) and lots of sun. And let us know if it makes it.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 10:28PM
ryan_tree(7aVA)

Well the when I was potting the Baldie back up, I looked at the roots and it appeared that there were SOME white tips, so that's a good sign. Also, a few of the few branches that were on the BC were broke. But, I did see green underneath those branches, so that will hopefully still be somewhat alive. There are only about 5 small branches on the tree, however. Thanks!

Ryan

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 10:36PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Roots don't all die at the same time. They die incrementally with the finest roots succumbing to adverse cultural conditions first. Over-fertilizing, drought stress, over-watering, heat/cold ...... all take the finest roots first. Even if tertiary and secondary roots die, there is still a possibility that the primary transport roots will break back with fine rootage, so don't give up. Essentially, you have a large cutting that already has SOME roots, though they will be inefficient at uptake of water and nutrients for a time

You really don't want to keep the plant too wet. A damp, rather than a wet soil facilitates water uptake, while protection from wind (tenting would be good, too) and direct sun to slow transpiration so the plant can more easily remain hydrated is a wise course.

Al

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Sad Green Isle Ficus, Happy Mistletoe Ficus
Hi everyone, A week ago, in a fit of the winter blues,...
Greenflat
Fukien Tea - Making a come back!!!
Hello Everyone, this is a wonderful story. Back in...
halocline
From seedling
I was just wondering how do I grow my plant into a...
Shivam Shetty
Anybody grow mini bonsai Wisteria from seed?
I thought I had American but I now know it is either...
rubyhum
training pots
hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has ever...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™