muscari question

mchad21February 21, 2009

I've planted hundreds of these bulbs, for the first time this year. No blooms yet, but I see two very different extremes in foliage.

Some are putting out huge foiliage...to the point where the leaves are a foot long, and just drooped over. And some have very little foliage, and the ends are yellow, where either the frost or something else damaged them.

I know the bud comes from the center of the plant, but was wondering if these two extremes are normal, and if either one indicates anything as far as the blooms go.

Thanks all!

Matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostalover360(4)

that is likely just the older foliage. I don't that it means they wont bloom, only time will tell! hope this helped

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 4:41PM
mchad21

Yeah, I guess we'll see. The foliage at least is a good sign that the bulbs are alive I guess.

Something could have eaten the foliage as well, but I'm not sure.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 7:14PM
mindysuewho

I have had the foilage come up in the fall, stay all winter (not looking the greatest) and then bloom in the spring. It must be certain varieties because all of mine don't do this.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 12:28AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

common grape hyacinths Muscari armeniacum have long floppy leaves that grow in fall and persist during the winter. In my garden they tend to smother more desirable plants so I've been trying to thin them out for years despite the lovely blue color.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 12:21PM
mchad21

yeah, they are flopping all over my lily sprouts and daffs..I think they will be ok though.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 11:56PM
ofionnachta(z6 WNJ)

Muscari do that, with the long leaves in the fall. Mine have been eaten by deer or something. But the plants will send up flowers & new leaves in spring. And the deer will have something else to eat by then.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 2:45PM
mchad21

Yep, they are sending up flowers now...all of them. Thanks all!

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 9:11PM
Matt Webster

I planted my muscari bulbs about a month ago, and I was surprised to see the foliage already. I didn't think I would see that until spring.

I'm in Atlanta. Will the plants survive a cold winter here, and bloom in spring?

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 3:02PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

I hope they survive, mine are up and I will surely have a colder winter than you!
It's entirely normal.

Bookmark   October 11, 2012 at 7:09PM
RadiantPoppy(7)

They are very tough little buggers. About as tough as one could ask for. I wouldn't worry. I planted only six last year that weren't that big, had mold on them, and were sent to me as a "free gift" with a purchase. I washed the mold off and planted them. They grew big and strong. I decided to dig them up to store them once the foliage died. I found the 6 had turned into.... dun dun dun: 86. So they are very prolific too.
You should be fine.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 8:25PM
RadiantPoppy(7)

I would actually really advise NOT cutting the foliage off. As long as they have spent the energy of growing foliage, let them harvest and store as much sunlight as possible before they go into dormancy again.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 8:28PM
More Discussions
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
surprise crocus
Hello, I'm new to this forum. This spring blooming...
forest
daves10z7annv
How to plant Crinums with leaves
Hey all, Just received some mail order crinums which...
jscaldwell
When do oriental hybrid lilies bloom, i have some bulbs in pot outside
I brought a pot of 4 hybrid oriental lilies from home...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™