Bought first bonsai... looks okay?
Got it from the garden centre on a whim, because it caught my eye. They usually have bonsai there, but while they're nice to look at usually they don't grab me. It's a Ficus retusa.
* Trunk's a little torn up, but the large gouge on the corner is rolling over nicely. Top... ehh.
* Strange branch placement, with branches coming off the back being curved towards the front. They're pretty solid too.
* Wonky taper. Keeps looking worse the more I look at it.
* Nice trunk shape, I think.
* The area below the original soil line turned out to be fairly chunky, though I'd need to move some roots around to round it out.
* Vigorous species.
I was thinking of just giving it a large pot and letting it put on weight until next year at least.