Uncertain of Species

Sparkers30May 2, 2013

Hello,

Bought this a couple of weeks ago. It looks like it is dying or is poorly. It is wilting a great deal.

I need to sort it out. But could you please tell me the species?

It said 'Ligustrum' on the label that came with the tree when I bought it from Garden Centre, however, considering the Serissa I have was marked as a Zelkova I can't be sure of anything.

(Also if you have any ideas on why it could be wilting it would be very useful. It has happened slowly over the last four days. It isn't taking up water quickly. I was wetting the soil once a day using a squirty bottle or flooding through when it got pretty dry.
At the moment the middle of the soil is slightly moist.
I don't want to water it though in case I am overwatering and this is killing it. But then I don't want to underwater.

It sits on the window sill and gets direct sunlight. It has been quite sunny the last few days. Though given I live in the British Isles it isn't getting blasted by the light.

The soil seems to be general purpose stuff that the garden centre have used. I do have a bonsai soil that I have just bought.

Where would you get started in working out what to do with the tree in its current state of wilting heavily?

Thanks for your help

Sam

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sparkers30

If I can help to provide more information by taking more photos, please let me know.

(I am complete beginner with this. I bought a serissa and this plant without realisation how difficult it is to care for them. But although I have ordered books to get trained up in knowing what to do, I need to keep them alive up until I become more savvy. )

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 9:45AM
Sparkers30

Bump

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 5:28PM
frozenlarch

Hopefully your tree still lives...

A photo of the pot, trunk base, and soil, would be helpful. Along with a description of the soil type, and your method for checking moisture content.

Have you by chance re-potted, or disturbed the roots in any way since you got the tree?

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 2:02PM
Sparkers30

Thanks for your reply. The tree was going downhill fast.

And the water it had been given days ago obviously hadn't soaked up.

I found it was pot-bound. Lots of root and much of it rotten from not taking up water. I removed most of the roots and then put it in a more porous soil.

I hope it lives. I heard these privet trees are quite hardy.

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 7:36PM
More Discussions
Bonsai Beginner help: Juniper, Eugenia, and Fukien Tea
Hi there, I'm new to the Bonsai world (currently succulent...
DavidL.ca
Fukien Tea - Making a come back!!!
Hello Everyone, this is a wonderful story. Back in...
halocline
Rosemary Bonsai
I'm fairly new to bonsai and I have a question about...
satisdee
New Chinese elm
Hi, I received a nice chinese elm bonsai as a gift....
doomahx
How long for wiring?
When using wires to shape a tree, typically, how long...
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™