tulip bulbs, timing for Easter , and flowering

BillbulbsFebruary 22, 2012

I now have a couple thousand Darwin and Pastel type tulip bulbs in cold storeage,,my idea was to pot them and have then ready for bloom to sell for Easter....I have a small greenhouse that stays around 60 inside now ...i need to know when to plant them ,so they are flowering or ready to, the week before or of Easter to sell them ,,, also any other info. i could use to make this idea work ,,, thanx to anyone that can point me in the right direction :) BILL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

I admire your ambition. Sure you have enough room in a small greenhouse for thousands of bulbs? I guess you'll find out soon enough as your plan falls into place. (Obviously you know that you have to get a move on it as Easter approaches.... there's always mother's day I guess)

Timing and temperature control will probably be your biggest issue, knowing the exact variety will help, darwin mixed or pastel mixed isn't really enough info, especially if you just grabbed a couple bags of bulbs at Costco or sam's.

Here's a link for Easter forcing of precooled bulbs. Good luck!

.....Garden web is not accepting the link I added, you'll have to cut and paste....
http://www.netherlandbulb.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.showpage/pageID/121/index.htm

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 5:41PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kato's bulb forcing link made clickable

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:51AM
shflower

Hi,I am in warmer zone than yours & weather has been warmer than usual even for my region ,I planted Darwin hybrid tulips Ollioules,Big chief on 19 th Nov last year in my yard & they are in full bloom now ,also the May flowering/single late tulips "renown" planted on 6th November are also starting to open in my garden , so I am guessing they take 4& half months in outside weather. since you are forcing them in warmer conditions, they'll probably bloom in 2-3 months after planting (my guess)

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Phaedranassa dubia
Hi all, I bought this bulb couple of months ago. It...
radhavall
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
Sponsored Products
Yellow Tulip Arrangement
$9.99 | zulily
Sonneman Candela Tulip Transitional Multi Pendant Light
1800Lighting
7'x10' Tulip Motif Red Pakistani Super Kazak Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H6824
BH Sun Inc
Classic Mahogany Tulip Finial Holdback, Set of 2
$9.95 | Bellacor
Kichler Wilton Chandelier - 41W in. Carre Bronze - 2092CZ
Hayneedle