Not really Bonsai, but I figured you guys may be able to help.

jsvand5May 7, 2009

One of my animals totally girdled this peach tree. Is their any way aside from trying to find a rootstock and approach grafting it to save this thing? I have heard of a bridge graft but I don't know much about it. The worst part is that the damage is right at the graft line so I can't even just top it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hortus_custodis(7)

Best bet is trash it and start over.
Sorry, but it looks like history.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 1:07PM
jsvand5

Yea, I am ordering another one this week. I attempted a few bridge grafts just to give it a try, but I am not expecting much. If I am able to get the bridge grafts to work will the damaged portion eventually grow together or is it a once it's gone it's gone type thing? I know it will scar over, but will the scarred area transport nutrients if it eventually grows back together? On the back side that is not shown in the pic there is an area that only has about 1/4" wide area that is stripped, so I was hoping if I could get it through the season that at least that area would re-estblish a connection by the fall.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 11:56AM
hortus_custodis(7)

If one or more of the bridge grafts works before the scion dies then plant it and see what happens. With as much cambium damage as there is I am doubtful that the scion will live. It is also very late and the scion has already, I am guessing, got hardened off leaves.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 5:51PM
More Discussions
Sad Green Isle Ficus, Happy Mistletoe Ficus
Hi everyone, A week ago, in a fit of the winter blues,...
Greenflat
How long for wiring?
When using wires to shape a tree, typically, how long...
whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
Fukien Tea - Making a come back!!!
Hello Everyone, this is a wonderful story. Back in...
halocline
Rosemary Bonsai
I'm fairly new to bonsai and I have a question about...
satisdee
great nebari
Hello everyone, I am starting to experiment with ways...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™