unhappy desert rose

granburyflowergirl(7)January 6, 2011

My desert rose seems to be suffering terribly and I can't figure out what is wrong. The leaves are all limp, brown and mushy but the branches and above soil line roots look okay.

This is my first winter with a desert rose, is this just what they do in the winter? Too much water? Not enough water? Too cold? I have it in my shed with all of my other container plants. I installed two windows in the shed, Christmas lights are providing minimal warmth and I have a fan moving the air around. About once a week on nice days, I open it up and rotate the plants so everybody gets a turn closest to the windows, so far everybody else seems fine with this arrangement. Any suggestions for my poor rose? Would it be happier in the warm house?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Being it's a zone 10 plant, it's almost (a nice way of saying it is) certain they cannot tolerate the cold they're being subjected to.

Al

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 3:12PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

I have been in a lrearning experience for 3 years and this is what I have found out:

They hate COLD temps and HATE to be watered at all at this time. Unless they are in a full sunny very warm to hot window or under lights and actively growing with leaves, you should not water at all.

Some I know do not water them at all all winter while they go into dormant stage. Only when leaves start to emerge, they start watering in warm sun.

Let's make this as easy as possible.

They usuually rot if you introduce any water to them in the conditions you described.

Mike

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 3:46PM
mrlike2u(**)

If at first you don't succeed try try again or We further our growing knowledge more by failure than success.

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 7:21PM
granburyflowergirl(7)

LOL, is it too late if I bring it inside our toasty house now? Maybe blow dry the roots with my hair dryer? :-)

On a happy note, my citrus are all shiny and lush and some are even blooming up a storm in these conditions

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 8:38PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Don't blow dry the roots! ;)

Josh

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™