Well, I had good intentions.

denninmi(8a)February 3, 2011

I have been forcing bulbs for the winter for a number of years.

In years past, I kept them in my garage, which is barely heated. Worked out OK, but they would all grow and bloom by early March.

This year, I decided it would be nice to keep most of them outdoors. So, I brought in about a dozen pots, and put about 3 dozen outdoors with the thought of bringing them in. I did a shallow trench, enough to shelter them adequately, OR SO I THOUGHT. Then, covered with boards, bagged leaves, evergreen boughs. And, I did this against the base of my greenhouse, so the snow falling off would further insulate them.

Well, half an hour of trying to excavate them was for naught -- the organic materials and boards are just all cemented together with runoff water. I could SEE a couple of little sprouts underneath here and there, happily waiting for spring, but I just couldn't get the pots out.

Oh well, perhaps we'll have a February or March thaw, and I can get to them then.

In the meantime, the ones I did bring in are blooming -- right now, I've got hyacinths, crocus, tete a tete's, and another Narcissus cultivar whose name escapes me at the moment.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

There's a plus! The mousies and voles and squirrels and co. won't be able to get in either!

Just wondering: if you put an ag-plastic cloche over the top to keep the rain off? Or those heat cap thingies? I use long gro-tunnels for some things and I find them great for moderating the weather (though I never get your sort of snow/ice).

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™