Lumpy Ficus Roots on Bonsai

Joe1980(5)May 7, 2012

I posted this in the house plants as well, but I figured I'd toss it in here to get the bonsai opinions. I have a typical variegated ficus benjamina that I got last year, due to it's curvey trunk. I intended to make this tree into a bonsai. It is all of 10" tall and wide, in a 5" pot. The trunk is only about 3/8" thick. Anyways, with the intention of a repot this spring, I scratched away the gritty mix to assess the roots, and found that every last root goes down, only to form a bulb like formation. They look like tubers, and aren't easy on the eyes. What in the world do I do with them, or is this tree scrapped as a bonsai? Thanks much.

Joe

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Wow, I came here with the same question about the same issue! I have a variegated ficus in a standard pot (that should have been cleaned up some years ago, but I'm doing it now). I want to keep the plant smaller through branch and root pruning; not quite bonsai, but similar. It also has four trunks that I want to bind together so they'll fuse, the largest about 1" dia.

So I took it out of the pot and just under the soil are these *huge* bulbous roots all the way to the edge of the pot. I'm not sure whether to take the bulbous parts entirely off, halfway off, or leave 'em.

I defoliated and pruned yesterday (I discovered the EVIL scale) and right now it's a bundle of twigs in a bucket of water.

Help?

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 2:07PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Joe, after googling my best google, it seems the answer is 'that's what Ficus do, just leave them'. So I will.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 11:35AM
Joe1980(5)

Yeah, I gathered that too by a few google attempts. But, I guess my question is more of a what to do thing, because I don't think they look good at all, and will make for an ugly bonsai tree. I wonder if others have just cut them off, a couple each year, carve them down to normal looking roots, do nothing, or somthing else.

Joe

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 10:35AM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

I dunno, once it gets big, the roots might look more proportional. Hopefully.

I taped my four trunks together, so in a year or two it should be one nice fat tree. (fingers crossed)

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 12:26PM
More Discussions
help my bonsai is dying!!!!!
Hello, I am in desperate need of help. I am a begginer...
dayscraze
Soil mixture questions.
Hi so I have a couple questions. First is that I'm...
deepbonsai
Need ID help
I just picked this up in the bonsai section of the...
josephines123 z5 ON Canada
bonsai a large outdoor camellia?
Someone long ago planted this camellia much too close...
Kristin
Quercus virginiana vs. Olea europaea...Live Oak vs Olive
These two species can be trained into the same styles...
bronxfigs
Sponsored Products
Pop Scented Candle
$38.00 | Horchow
Bonsai Silk Plant Collection (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Grover Loveseat - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Arteriors Home - Ashland Lamp In Gold Leaf - 12402-790
Great Furniture Deal
T&M Tactical Gloves
$129.95 | FRONTGATE
New Authentic Hand Knotted Blue Chobi Peshawar 9' X 12' Pakistani Wool Rug H3785
BH Sun Inc
Root Beer Four Square Contemporary LED 36" Sq Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Treated Pine 3' Rose Trellis
Fifthroom.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™