Monet's garden - please help id tulips?

vettin(z6b Northern VA)February 27, 2011

Can you name these tulips please? Also, what are the blue flowers interspersed between them?

It is the first photo on the giverny link.

Many thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Monet's garden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Pretty hard to give a specific ID just based on the photo but one can make suggestions for tulips of similar coloring.

The ones in the back look like 'Pink Impression'. In the foreground, the lighter purple tulips could be any of a dozen or more different varieties - 'Purple Lady', 'Purple Rain', 'Singapore', 'Othello', 'Passionale', etc. The darker purple variety could be 'Negrita' or 'Queen of the Night'.

And it's almost impossible to discern what the blue flowers are......much too small a photo to work from. Need a close up!! But you could get the same effect by interplanting with muscari or blue hyacinths. But they look more like blue flowered pansies to me.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 10:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

The blue flowers appear to be pansies. I have seen them in other photos of the Clos Normand. As gardengal48 says there are several different tulips in the picture and it is the blending of the colours which is part of the magic of the gardens. I have checked several French sources for a list of the bulbs used and can only find general references to 'tulips', even on the Giverny official list of plants. The names gg gave would achieve a similar effect.

Bookmark   February 28, 2011 at 12:37PM
More Discussions
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
What to do with tulip bulbs
Recent visitors from the Netherlands brought me 30...
chickadee3a
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™