Where can I buy bulbs now for forcing indoors

happyday(WI4a)February 19, 2011

I want to buy bulbs, now, to force indoors, prechilled if they require it. Can anyone recommend a company that is selling prechilled bulbs for forcing that will ship right now?

Also, what bulbs require chilling and which do not? I usually force daffodils and hyacinths. I want flowers that are fragrant, that is the most important consideration.

Can anyone recommend a bulb that can be forced, is fragrant, and does not require prechilling?

Can anyone recommend a variety of miniature daffodil that is especially fragrant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

You want them to bloom this season? Like in the next month or two?

There are no bulbs available now that will fit those requirements. They have been sold months ago. Or tossed out if not sold. It is too late to force them for this season. All spring flowering bulbs require a chilling period, whether it is in the ground under naturally cold conditions or refrigerated and potted for forcing. The exception would be paperwhite narcissus, but unless you find an unusual source that still has some left, these too will have all been sold. Most are forced into bloom for the holidays and are already sprouted at that time. They just don't keep well.

What you can find now are prestarted bulbs that are either already in the process of being forced - like tulips - or ready to be planted out into the ground for blooms at their normal time. Sometimes groceries will have them but all the local garden centers here are featuring them now. Might be a bit later in your zone. If you leave these indoors in warmth and bright light, they will bloom early. I've got a pot of prestarted hyacinths indoors ready to bloom any day.

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 9:57PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happyday(WI4a)

Prestarted bulbs are bulbs that are sold planted in potting soil in a pot? I've seen those. Guess I may have to buy them instead of bare bulbs.

I did buy bulbs last fall but they didn't look good after the chilling period. I thought that some nurseries might have prechilled bulbs but guess they sold them all to the nurseries that prestart them.

Thanks for explaining.

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 10:18PM
More Discussions
Planting Dahlias, Daylilies & Peonies bulbs in Dallas now
Hi All, I live in Dallas, TX. Local Costco has a sale...
fruits_veggies
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Sponsored Products
Sterling Industries 10228-S2 Near Dusk I & Near Dusk II
Beyond Stores
Tessa Area Rug
Home Decorators Collection
Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Brooke Driftwood 5' x 7' 6"
$98.97 | Home Depot
Curl Matte Black 16-Inch Three Light Billiard Bar with Blue Mosaic Tiffany Glass
$847.00 | Bellacor
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Nourison Rug Boutique Rugs Pebblestone Multicolor 2 ft. 3
Home Depot
Blazing Needles Cylinder Microsuede Bolster Pillows (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Remer by Nameeks LI13US Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - REMER LI13US
$293.99 | Hayneedle
Capital Lighting 9953BB Mission Hills Bronze Outdoor Wall Sconce
Littman Bros Lighting
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™