Just messin' around

head_cutterMay 23, 2013

Hi all, was pruning a ficus around 3 years ago and stuck this pencil sized cutting in the back garden. We were cleaning up a few months ago and I found it. Now it 'was' about 6' tall.

The base is a healthy 6 cm and the surface roots were interesting so I took the time to pot it up. Since I 'stumped' it I'll just grow in a crown to hide the top. Nothing earth shaking but it should make a nice little tree in the future.

It's been cut back severely three times - back to the last leaf - then allowed to re-grow.

Bob

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
paul_(z5 MI)

Personally, I think that is very cool.

Bookmark   May 31, 2013 at 11:34PM
moyogijohn

BOB,,Long time not talking to you.. love the trunk !! are you planning a new apex for it now ??? it is not fair that trees grow so well and fast for you !!!! hope every thing is going good for you..take care john

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 7:09PM
head_cutter

Been busy with the cafe and other things. Just going to grow a broad canopy to hide the cut - actually since I posted that pic it's grown in a lot; almost time to cut it back again.

It was a branch cutting so most of the new branches are growing horizontal to the trunk. Probably won't need much wiring to get new branches in the right position.

Bookmark   June 1, 2013 at 8:27PM
More Discussions
Who's Going to MABA show in July?
Wondering if anyone from GW is planning to attend the...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
From seedling
I was just wondering how do I grow my plant into a...
Shivam Shetty
Anybody grow mini bonsai Wisteria from seed?
I thought I had American but I now know it is either...
rubyhum
Goji berry bonsai
I recently purchased a goji berry and was wondering...
Joshua Hughes
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™