Overexcited Daffodils

littlelizzy123February 26, 2014

So my daffodils are daft enough to think that today, February 26th, is officially spring. My whole-leaf mulch blew off a few days ago, and I didn't notice. I put more mulch on, but they are already sprouting. Will temps below freezing kill them? I can't seem to keep the mulch down with the Chinook winds blowing through. We have been having major temp swings, sometimes more than 30-40 degrees. One day it was 70, the next it was 25. What do you think? Are they goners?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy zone 6

They will probably be ok. I have some old fashioned early daffs that come up so early every year & I always think they will get taken by the cold, but they make it fine. Daffs seem to know when to come up. Last year they got hit by snow & even some freezing rain & came through fine. They are up now several inches with buds. It has been in the teens the last couple of days with snow & similar temps predicted for the next week. So far they look fine.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 7:38AM
littlelizzy123

Thanks! That makes me feel a little better. :)

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 7:30PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Same here. This year we haven't had that problem because we've had a consistent snow cover and just about constant cold. I still have about a foot of snow on the ground. But we have had winters and springs where the bulbs start showing foliage and then we get cold and snow and they seem to do fine. They stall in coming up if it's too cold, and they've gone on to bloom fine. Some years, maybe the very tips of the foliage get a little yellow or brownish, but nothing noticeable unless you are up close.

Bookmark   March 2, 2014 at 8:52AM
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

I get more concerned if they're *not* poking up by January or so. Even in our coldest fall/early winters, our established daffs start poking in December, just a half-inch or so, but usually stand still until March. I regard it as normal that they do such. Even when I lived in Ohio they poked the surface by Jan/Feb.

The only exception is newly planted bulbs, which I believe need more time to put out roots before top growth starts. The ones already in-ground probably more or less maintain rootsystems all year and grow sooner.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 1:56PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

They should be fine. This year mine are all still frozen solid, but last year a mild fall had them sprouting way too early. Then winter hit, temps in the low teens blasted the sprouts and I took this picture. I figured the dead browning sprouts were goners, and then forgot all about it until April when they bloomed just fine!
In my experience only really early ones such as Rijnvelds Early Sensation will get damaged (since the blooms sprout so early) and not-quite-as-hardy fall sprouters like Erlicheer may die if frozen while in growth.

Bookmark   March 4, 2014 at 8:53PM
More Discussions
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
please help - fungus gnats eating bulbs?
I most likely bought infectious putting soil. My bulbs...
pinkkpearls
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™