Any experience with these zinnias? Profusion vs Crystal

chloeashaJanuary 19, 2013

I love zinnias and have finally talked myself into trying some from seed, even though I barely have enough sun. I'll have to tuck them into my window boxes which hang off my railings, so I would like some that trail and don't get too big.

Years ago I grew Crystal White zinnias. I remember they did amazing in a window box, but their flowers are not very large. I was looking at Profusion Apricot zinnias as something which has larger flowers.

Any thoughts on either of these? Do the profusion zinnias actually trail or do they form a bush? it looks like they make a bush, and in that case, they may not be what I need even if I really want them.

They would be tucked into 18x6x6 boxes between strawberries or herbs (depends on the box). So something that makes a giant mound really wouldn't fit no matter how much I was trying to get those classic zinnia flowers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

ave grown Profusion for several years. Easy to grow from seed but they are not trailing-types. Low growing mound-type instead. Check the Annuals forum here for more info on them.

Dave

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 9:55AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloeasha

OK, thanks! I went ahead and ordered seeds for both, and I'll probably try to tuck in profusions on the sides of the boxes so they have more space to mound. I'll stick the others in front so they can trail.

Bookmark   January 21, 2013 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™