Need Cold hardy caladium - zone6a

kris2001(6a - s.e.PA)February 20, 2009

Is there a Caladium that for sure is hardy in z6 here in s.e.PA? If so which one? If so is there a mix too?

Pls suggest where to get one?

I dont wanna store the tubers in winter...just love for it to come again and again !

Tks--Kris in s.e.PA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stimpy926

No, not available. They're a sub-tropical plant. Digging and storing are not hard. Dig before frost, let them dry on some newspaper or cardboard for a few days, clean off direct, put in a shoebox in the basement, +/- 65 degrees.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 7:40PM
organicmickie(6 SW Ohio)

There is a plant that I grow called Arum italicum pictum. It's dark green with white veins and evergreen. It looks tropical. I grow it in zone 6 without it being aggresive. I've heard others complain about that.

It likes shade like the caladium. It's one of my favorite plants.

Mickie

Here is a link that might be useful: Arum italicum pictum

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 4:07PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I grow Arum too, but they come up in the fall, stand all winter, bloom in the spring and then go dormant until fall when you see their seed stalks. Great plant, but not a great substitute for caladiums.

I am not certain that it is winter hardy, but Calla bulbs might be a suitable substitute for caladiums in your area and would enjoy similar growing conditions. The white calla called "Crowborough" is supposed to be the most winter hardy type. I saw it offered by Arrowhead Alpines.

You have only two choices: pick another plant or dig your caladium bulbs each year (#3 buy new caladium bulbs each year) :)

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 5:57PM
organicmickie(6 SW Ohio)

Yes, in zone 6 they come up in September and die down in the heat of summer. It's a good trade for me, because so much more is growing when they aren't and vice-versa.

Here they bloom in May or June. The seed spathe is present in August and September.

Glad you pointed that out, DB. I didn't even think about it. My brain is frozen - 2 more inches of snow today.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 9:27PM
More Discussions
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
I mayhave started a war with critters that eat bulbs....
I purchased hardy Cyclamen bulbs and had prepared the...
Emerogork2
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™