Can you identify this flower?

tigrrrl(Zone 9)February 1, 2009

I moved to a new home last summer and have been discovering all sorts of new flower and tree varieties as the seasons change. I grew up in Southern California, but I have never seen this flower before (or noticed it anyway). My mother also has it growing at her home on the central coast, but she doesn't know the name either. As you can see, the hummingbirds LOVE it...can anybody tell me the name?

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tigrrrl(Zone 9)

Here's another one. It looks like Lily of the Valley, but has green circles on the petals and does not flare out as much as the photos I've seen. Is it another variety of bulb altogether?? Can anyone recommend a good photo reference book for bulb, corms, etc.? or even a website? Thanks!

Bookmark   February 1, 2009 at 7:08PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

The first looks like Montbretia. The second Leucojum. Both multiply well.

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 2:23AM
tigrrrl(Zone 9)

Got it! Thank you. Both of those are spot on! Now do you know what variety it is? It seems too orange to be "Lucifer".

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 2:45PM
razorback33(z7)

It will probably be difficult to pinpoint the exact species and/or cultivar, because many of those look alike.
It is most likely one of the following 2 species, that are often available from local and mailorder sources:
C. masoniorum
C. x crocosmiiflora
Here's a link to PBS Wiki that shows the 2, plus 'Lucifer'
Crocosmia
Click on CROCOSMIA /upper left/ to display photos.

Another website that has many photos of Crocosmia...

Crocosmia species and Cultivars
Select Crocosmia photos or Crocosmia photos2 from the menu on the panel at the left, to view thumbnails. Click on the thumbnail for a larger photo and the name of the plant.
Rb

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 11:18PM
columbiasc(Columbia SC)

Tiger,

I was in San Diego a week or so back and saw a sample of the Leucojum outside a house a few doors down from the Museum of Contemporary Art in Le Jolla. I was surprised to see it there. I live in SC and it is one of my favorite spring bulbs. I believe it is Gravette Giant. I may be a few letters off on the spelling. As for a reference book, I like Scott Ogden's "Garden Bulbs of the South" but I would like to find a companion book with more photos. You can also check some of the bulb websites like oldhousegardens.com and southernbulbs.com they usually have photos.

I brought home a piece of an interesting succulent that spread out like a ground cover with an orange bloom. I'm testing it in my climate.

~Scott~

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 8:59PM
columbiasc(Columbia SC)

I lost the email from whoever it was that asked me to share my San Diego souvenir. Contact me in aobut 6 months and let's see how it does here. Not enough to share at this time but maybe it will flourish.

~Scott~

Bookmark   February 19, 2009 at 8:07PM
More Discussions
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™