Is there any hope for tulips that were stored over the winter?

luvahydrangea(Albany, NY 5)February 22, 2009

I have a bag of 60 tulip bulbs that I forgot to plant in the fall. They've been in the hallway (un-insulated for the most part). It gets cold enough out there that water will freeze. Should I put them in the ground in the spring when the ground thaws, or just wait until fall? Tulips don't bloom here until May. Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hostalover360(4)

ok, it sounds good that they have been in the cold hallway. I have a couple of ideas for you. you may plant them in the spring. but until then keep them in a constantly cool and DARK area, it's best thats it's dark so they wont sprout. then the should grow in the spring, but I have not had experience with this. here another idea. you could pot them up in pots. and then keep them moist and in a constantly cool DARK area this should get them to form somewhat of a root system before spring. the cool and moist soil help them from roots. thats why Tulips are planted in the fall.! I've had great success with daffodils put in a cool fridge. but they have been in there since January. I hope this helps give you some ideas in what to do. these are just my ideas in what I would do.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 9:42PM
calistoga_al

If your soil is frozen so hard you can not dig I would go with hostalover's suggestion. If you can dig now I would plant them now. Al

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 8:48AM
luvahydrangea(Albany, NY 5)

Thank you for the replies. The ground here will be frozen for some time to come, then it will get soggy as our soil is clay and once the snow all melts it will not be immediately workable.

I think I will try potting them up and putting them in our basement. At least that way they can grow some roots. Once it gets warmer out I will try bringing them up. I guess at that point I can plant them outside in the spring?

Thanks again for your help.

Bookmark   February 23, 2009 at 7:43PM
hostalover360(4)

as soon as your ground is workable I would go ahead and plant them. thats generally around April 1st here in Wisconsin, thats what I do with mine. just try to get them in pots with soil, watered and in a cool spot right away! temps between 30 and 40 are the best for root development.

Bookmark   February 24, 2009 at 4:07PM
luvahydrangea(Albany, NY 5)

I potted them all up today and watered them. They're in the basement (hopefully the cat won't mistake them for litter boxes.) They had some growth coming out the tops, but no roots. Also, they seemed a hollow. I'm going to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Thanks for all the advice.

Bookmark   February 27, 2009 at 7:56PM
More Discussions
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™