Blood Lily Question

warrengkFebruary 21, 2011

Hi there, i have haemathus coccienus, i think thats how you spell it. i have about 10 good sized bulbs, they are begining to die back right now, but i noticed on one of the leaves, towards the end that there was some yellow spotting. None of the others have this, but like i said they are all dying back right now. Anyone grow this and is this common, i took a photo to help show whats going on. I am really hoping this isnt a virus, ive researched all over the internet and cant find any info on this, thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

The possibles I can think of are - sun coming through water beads on the leaf; or, dirt resting on the leaf stopping photosynthesis.

The second one is the easiest to test - clean leaf and moderate light and see if it regains colour. Good luck.

(I'm watching mine like a hawk at present. Has it made enough size to flower this year??? It started out as very small and wizened several years ago and has been gaining steadily.) I'm delighted you have so many to enjoy. :-))

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 12:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
warrengk

hi there, thanks for your anwser. im glad i havent heard its a virus, yet. this is the smallest bulb of them all. i think he is small because he was under a fatsia, i just moved the fatsia back to allow more light through. they have all flowered for me, last year i transplanted them right before bloom and the blooms were very small. so this year they will be back on track! the leaves are all dying back right now, so flowers are soon to follow!

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™