new tiger lilly bulbs sprouting.

stroja62February 24, 2009

i just bought these bulbs today and they have sprouts already after sitting in a bucket so if put them in a vase with water on the roots will they grow and sprout or do they have to be put outside in soil.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vetivert8(NI-NZ zone 9a)

Usually they are planted quite deeply so the soil insulates them from summer heat. That way they don't wither away to nothing in one season.

You can plant them in biggish containers which would give them about eight inches of root room and four inches or so of cover. Be prepared to check them over each year because the bulbs multiply quite quickly and they run out of both room and food. (Hungry feeders.)

In the garden they make lovely patches of colour but they're probably best at the back of a border so they can act as a green background to other plants in front when they finish flowering.

Do 'mark the spot' as they are very easy to stab when weeding or working around them.

They appreciate liquid fertiliser as they're growing. Half-strength weekly, if you have to water often. They don't do well if they dry out.

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
Avantika
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Transfer water vase hyacinth bulbs
Hello, I have two hyacinths that were forced in water...
veganinpurrsss
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™