Home care for tulips

mona_gardenerFebruary 19, 2009

My boyfriend just bought me a potted tulip plant and I have no idea how to care for it. However I have no yard to plant it so I know it wont last as long as I'd like it to. What can I do to get the most use out of it? Also I can only keep it outdoors during the day because stray cats get into everything during the night. Can I move it indoors at night? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Yes you can move it in at night. When your plant is through blooming it really is not worth trying to keep it, unless for sentimental reasons. To keep it for next year you would need to let it go dormant in the pot and then store the pot until about September when you would need to chill it for at least 6 weeks at a temperature just above freezing. Now bring it back into the room temperatures and in about another 6 weeks it will grow and bloom. I doubt your boyfriend would expect you to do this on the chance it will bloom again next year. Let him buy you another one next year so you can show him your appreciation. Al

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 9:38AM
flh69

I bought my wife a potted tulip plant and was wondering if the bulbs could be removed from the pot now and replanted outside in the ground at a later time. If so, what is the procedure.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 4:17PM
hostalover360(4)

Fih69 you should let all the foliage die back, turn yellow and dry out. keep it water until then, and then you can take it out and plant them in the fall. it make take a year or 2 to flower because Tulips and spring flowers you get this time of year have been "forced" so they need to build up strength hope this helps.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 4:49PM
calistoga_al

flt69 answering your posts would be more appropriate if your name included your zone. Al

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 9:06AM
flh69

calistoga,
Sorry, I am in Maryland.

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™