Looking for Turface

KullinJanuary 24, 2013

Hi folks, I've been lurking here for a couple weeks reading up on all sorts of things, but a big one for me was trying to figure out what killed off my plants last season. I know it's early for spring plants and all, but I'm trying to get set up for a potted garden. I'm having difficulty with Turface. I've been to nurseries (the few still open) and most every big chain store in my area. Anyone have tips on a location in the Grand Rapids/Holland Michigan area? I live closer to Holland but I'm willing to travel.

Jason

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Try calling

Commerce Corp
4660 East Paris Ave SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49512
Phone: 616-541-3000

I've purchased Turface MVP from them (had them deliver a whole pallet - 40 bags) and other hard to find fertilizers, etc. They're set up as a wholesaler, but will sell cash & carry over the counter, too.

or

Turf Services
Spring Lake
(616) 842-4975

If those fail you, try

Earth Service & Supply (Lakeshore Golf & Turf)
3961 Roger B Chaffee Memorial Blvd SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49548
Phone:
616-241-6610
1-800-398-0388

These turf-related businesses are prolly pretty slow at this time of year, but will pick up in the spring. Still, they might answer the phone - Commerce is your best bet.

Al

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 4:31PM
Kullin

Thanks Al! I think I'll give Turf Services a shot tomorrow since I'll be going through Spring Lake. If they fail I'll hit Commerce up next. Thanks again. Hopefully my potted garden will be much more successful this year. Last year my soils were constantly wet with minimal watering and very dense. I opted for a no name pre made mix. I managed to get a pepper to bud and two leaves of lettuce out of probably 20 plants. It was quite frustrating.

Jason

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 8:51PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I think you're already buying into the idea that soil choice can have a profound effect on what you're able to squeeze out of the growing experience - that will serve you well.

Al

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 9:27PM
Kullin

Yeah I've seen the effect of thick "Rich" looking soil on a variety of plants. Yes they almost all grew, but most didn't even come close to flourishing, and all died off early except my Habenero that producted one pepper that never ripened.

I called Turf Services and they were over the top helpful. They have it and will be open for me to pick up today. Here's hoping for a fruitful season this year!

Jason

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 9:49AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Rockin! Good luck!

Al

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 12:14PM
More Discussions
Help! My kumqat is dying
Hello everyone, I am hoping to get some help related...
bashchelik
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
Help with 1:1:1 - weight and sourcing in the UK
I've just clicked that weight is going to be an issue...
containergardenerbeginner
Zuchinni/Courgette, lots of leaf growth, but not many fruit
Hi, My courgette plant is doing great in terms of leaf...
bopwinter
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™