New tulips staying short with buds !

Prettypetals_GA_7-8February 28, 2012

All of my tulips planted last fall are staying short and coming up with the bud about to bloom. None of them are getting very tall, foliage or bloom stem. I'm talking 2 or 3 inches tall. Thats it!!! Could it be because of our extremely warm winter? I was thinking since they were new they would have all the energy built up to make them bloom normal but none of them are. Thanks for your help, Judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brian

Hi Judy,

I believe it is because of the winter being very warm this year. I live in southern California and I have to chill my tulip bulbs every year to get them to bloom normal. The ones that I forget to dig up, come back the following year just as you described since I don't get as much winter chill that tulips need.

Brian

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 9:10PM
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

You know my tulips I had from last yr are coming up sporatically but are getting tall. So since these were new I figured they had the energy stored in them from the grower and they would bloom fine even if we didn't have a cold winter. So I guess that not true, right? So frustrating!! Judy

Bookmark   February 29, 2012 at 7:40PM
calistoga_al

Yes Judy, it is frustrating. Your climate is right on the edge where some may grow normally. The only to have consistent results is to pre-chill. Al

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 9:15AM
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

Thanks Brian and Al! Hopefully next yr will be colder and I will have a better spring display. Take care, Judy

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 8:48PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I chilled mine this year for 8 weeks in the fridge and they are still short: Darwins only about 1 foot high...don't know if it's the warm winter or if I got mis-labelled bulbs. They are the right color though, so I tend to think it's the extraordinarily warm January-February we've had.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 6:49PM
summerstar(Z7VA)

Having a similar problem here in Zone 7 of Central VA with Daffodils. The new bulbs I planted last fall are 3" or so tall and some with buds of about the same height. They should be seven/eight inches tall at least. I DO think it has to do with the warm winter . . . for tulips OR daffs.

Here in ole Virginie we've had temps going down and then going back up again. Seesawing. Previous winters/springs were more even and my daffodils produced foliage and buds normally. I think that confuses the bulb foliage/bud production. Ah well. There's always next year.

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 6:52PM
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

Finally most of mine have gotten some height on them. I was so worried I wasn't going to have any at all blooming then all of a sudden they all started popping outta the ground and rising tall. They look beautimous!!

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 2:25PM
More Discussions
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
why wont my amaryllis bloom
I have had two plants for a about 3 years now and neither...
Tinkerbel
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™