Unplanted bulbs

mejohnstFebruary 7, 2012

I have some daffodil bulbs bought for fall '10 planting, but I didn't have anywhere to plant them. They stayed indoors until fall '11, when I planted a few and then left the rest outside. If I bring the unplanted ones back inside, will they start to sprout? Anything I can do to make them sprout? I'm feeling impatient.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

It is highly unlikely that any bulbs that have been out of the ground for two years are still viable. If you can find them and they are viable, they would be sprouting by now. Otherwise, leave them where they are for compost. The ones you planted last year are your best hope for anything from that batch. Bulbs are living things. And although they will survive outside the ground under the right conditions for a good while, two years is way outside the realm.

Bookmark   February 12, 2012 at 6:20PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

If I bring the unplanted ones back inside, will they start to sprout?
I second what Donna said above about it being unlikely that they would still be viable.

Just to make sure, you could squeeze them, to see if they were totally dried out, or else gone to just 'mush, in the center. If there appears to be any firmness left, I'd suggest cutting a few open, cutting from the top of the bulb, down through the bottom, basal plate.

Chances are you will find that they are just no longer any good. Please let us know what you find.

Sue

Bookmark   February 13, 2012 at 8:58AM
More Discussions
I mayhave started a war with critters that eat bulbs....
I purchased hardy Cyclamen bulbs and had prepared the...
Emerogork2
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™