Will my Caladiums come back this year?

rolacoyFebruary 12, 2011

Last spring I planted a lot of Caladiums. I forgot how many, at least 10 of the bags from Home Depot. I think that I read that in the South that they come back each year, but the further North you go the less chance that they will come up a second year. I live on I-20 just west of Shreveport, LA. I dug up 3 of the bulbs today. They seemed solid, but I mashed one just a little and some yellow stuff came out. So I cut one in half and it was kinda firm, but had some of the yellow stuff. We had a colder than normal Winter so I don't know if the will survive.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
izharhaq

Was that yellow stuff stinky? Caladium tubers become soft and mushy when rotting, if they are firm then you may have a chance..

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 3:00AM
rolacoy

The part that came out was sticky, but most of them was firm. I guess a potato with a rotten spot is a good example.

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 9:23AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Most sites (I think) say caladiums are only hardy to zone 10, though a few said zone 9.

My 'guess' is that maybe a few of them 'might' make it, particularly if they were planted in sort of a protected area, or microclimate, or had a lot of mulch. How's that for a wishy washy reply?

I'd be interested to hear later if any survived, though even in your zone, it would be a while until the soil was warmed enough for them to break dormancy and actually start growing.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Approximate planting times per zone once the soil has warmed.

Bookmark   February 14, 2011 at 9:45AM
More Discussions
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
Storing Oxalis rhizomes
I've just repotted an old oxalis triangularis that's...
garystpaul
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™