tulips did not bloom...need answers

mchad21February 20, 2009

Hi,

I had planted about two dozen Pink Impression tulips. The foliage came up, just like the other couple hundred or so I planted.

But then the foliage started to droop, then turn a pinkish color. The bubs were small, almost white, and dried out. Nothing.

These were in a pot, and were in full sun. I had a big lily bulb planted under them, so I dug up the tulip bulbs to make sure they, and my lily bulb, were not rotted due to bad drainage. All the bulbs were solid, and none were rotted.

I'm wondering what happened.

Thanks,

Matt

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Matt your post indicates zone 9 and you did not mention your chilling the tulips. Your tulips are acting as though they were not chilled for at least 6 weeks before planting. Al

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 9:02AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I planted Pink Impressions this year too. I did chill them properly. They came up looking good, but the buds are hollow. Since the bulbs came from Wal Mart, I am tending to blame the quality of the bulbs since the ones I mail ordered are doing fine.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 10:50AM
mchad21

Sory Al, forgot to mention that I did chill them for about 8 weeks prior to planting. These all came from the same bag, so maybe I got a bad batch? Interesting...so that's what they do when they are not chilled.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 11:00AM
hostalover360(4)

it sounds like to me like Maybe you picked up some bad ones from somewhere, Thats why when I'm buying bulbs I always inspect them before I buy. and yes Tulips to need a winter chill. tulips come back and bloom year after year here in West Central Wisconsin! but winters here are COLD!

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 11:10AM
cynthianovak

that happened to me one year with a bag of tulips from Sam's Club. It also happened with Red Impression tulips from Sam's one year. Then again, It happened one year with some Pink Impression tulips from VE. I haven't planted Impression tulips since. I thought maybe they had a virus in the bulbs.

Maybe they didn't get watered enough because we had a drought so it's possible that I didn't get the zone where the one bag was planted too. I couldn't say for sure, but I still decided not to do impressions again.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 10:35PM
mchad21

Well, I've got a whole bunch of other impressions that are blooming, so maybe just a bad bag.

Bookmark   February 21, 2009 at 10:51PM
calistoga_al

Here in northern California I always plant my chilled tulips by the middle of Decenber, and this is the first year I have had to water them for much of January and part of February. The tulips are ok but not as tall as I normally get with the winter rains that were missing this year. Al

Bookmark   February 22, 2009 at 10:01AM
mad_gardener

Matt,

When you chilled the bulbs, did you put them in the fridge where you store fruit & vegetables? If so, this may have been the cause of their failure to flower.

"Avoid storing fruit (especially apples) in the refrigerator while you are chilling bulbs. Ripening fruit gives off a gas that may stop bulbs from flowering."

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Plant Bulbs (Lowe's)

Bookmark   February 25, 2009 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
Avantika
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
Gladiolus bulbs, direct sunlight
I would like to try planting some this spring in New...
xyz10
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™