Mexican Shell Flower (Tigridia pavonia)

jkrup44(9B FL)February 27, 2009

Hello. I planted some Mexican Shell Flower (Tigridia pavonia) bulbs in pots recently, but they haven't sprouted up yet. Does anyone have any experience growing these? Any advice? Thanks.

Josh

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

I grew them years ago and nothing special was required. They need a warm place which should be no problem in Florida. Al

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 10:08AM
Maryl zone 7a

I grew them years ago too. Although there wasn't a problem with winter hardiness, the blooms didn't seem to have much substance to the petals. Maybe it was our heat? Although they are from Mexico, perhaps they are from a higher cooler altitude then where I live. Someone who knows more about bulbs then I do might be able to explain it, or maybe that's just the nature of the beast so to speak. Anyway, after awhile mine got crowded out by other plants and I have never tried growing them again. The colors were pretty though.

Bookmark   February 28, 2009 at 4:30PM
cynthianovak

I tried a box of them once. A few made it and I thought they were very interesting. Unfortunately most did not.

This is what I was told: they like it where the temperatures are cooler as in the mountainous areas of MX rather than the warm to hot spring in the Dallas TX area where I live. I never tried again. Out of a box of 100 I only got about 10 flowers.

Maybe what I was told was wrong.

Bookmark   March 1, 2009 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Poll: What new flowers will be coming up next Spring?
So, I went a bit crazy this fall and will have planted...
posierosie_zone7a__
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™