Start cannas now???

scully931(6)March 18, 2009

I bought cannas and elephant ear bulbs for the first time this year. (Starting a new tropical garden.) Am I supposed to start these indoors?

If so, do they all need their own big pot since they won't be in there long or can I have them share? I usually start putting stuff in the ground mid-April. (Then end up covering everything at least once. :-/ )

Thanks for any advice on this! I'm so exciting to do this new garden!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

If you want to start them now they should be inside. It would be better to start each in his own pot as less root disturbance would result when planted in the garden. If these are started before the soil warms, with no roots, they will be subject to rot. Al

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 8:19AM
scully931(6)

Yes, I would definately start them inside. Is this the norm? Do most of you start your cannas and elephant ears inside or just stick them in the ground when it is warm enough? I'm curious mostly for those around my zone. (6) Thanks!

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 2:40PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

A friend and neighbor yearly plants her cannas and elephant ears. She never pots they up before setting them out in the garden, but instead waits until about the time of the last expected frost date which is May 10th here in southern IN.

Where are you located? It isn't in your profile. You can put your state abbreviation or something similar in the one box provided for the garden zone....as I am in zone 5/6 S IN

Sue

Bookmark   March 21, 2009 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Bought flower bulbs last year but didn't get them planted.
We bought the following spring flowering bulbs last...
jojowoo
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™