Suggestions needed for daffodil variety

kimcocoMarch 21, 2009

I'll be ordering more daffodils this fall from Colorblends.

I'm looking for a yellow variety to plant in a small strip alongside my driveway, in combination with blue muscari, and also next to my red Japanese pygmy barberries. I'm assuming the taller varieties will look the best???

I don't know if they all naturalize at the same rate, or if some are better than others, or if it's all relative.

Are there any opinions on a variety that looks the best with blue muscari?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I don't know if they all naturalize at the same rate, or if some are better than others,
Some varieties are a lot more prolific than others...meaning the bulb and blooms will multiply a lot faster than others.

I'm looking for a yellow variety to plant in a small strip alongside my driveway, in combination with blue muscari, and also next to my red Japanese pygmy barberries.
The main concern I would have would be one that would be in bloom at the same time as the muscari and possibly the barberry. I have some daffs in bloom now, but am not seeing signs yet of the bloom stalks on the muscari.

I'm guessing you would need a mid season variety.

Once you come up with some possibilities from Colorblends or elsewhere, you could do an inquiry on the name at the link below to see what their bloom season is.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Daffseek

Bookmark   March 21, 2009 at 1:10AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimcoco

See, that's exactly why I love this forum!

I didn't even think of that - LOL. I'm so used to seeing pics of muscari and daffs in bloom at the same time, not thinking it through enough to realize that I need to find varieties that bloom at the same time. Add that to my list of silly gardeners mistakes and 'what was I thinking?' (or not thinking, for that matter)

Thanks for the website. I'll do some more research.

Bookmark   March 21, 2009 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Are my Calla Lilies sprouting too soon?
I live in British Columbia, we are still having very...
bcroselover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™