Tulip Bulbs in Garage

laagarden(5)March 12, 2011

Hi,

My tulip bulbs have been in the garage in a wicker basket for the entire winter. So would that be the same as being in the fridge? I would think so. So is it time to plant them now outside and in pots so that they will come up in 8 weeks outdoors? Is this possible?

Thanks,

laagarden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

As long as your bulbs are still firm and not dessicated go ahead and plant them now. Al

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 11:32AM
greyandamy

This may not help. I had them in basement in pots, they sprouted (in my opinion) way too early. So I threw them outside and left them there, even when temps dropped to 15 degrees. They are fine, but slowed down to be more "caught up" with in ground daffodils. I don't know sprouting till bloom time. Thankfully, they've stayed sprouted, but stilled, meaning not growing much higher. My goal is to have a more "on time" bloom...It's been about 3 weeks of more top growth, except for one. As I said, this may not help..

Bookmark   March 13, 2011 at 1:10PM
goren

The question must still be asked. "Why were these bulbs not planted when they were supposed to, last fall.
You are asking "shold they be planted now?"....

Do the bulbs have a basal plate and have roots formed?
If so, go ahead, plant them...who knows, maybe Ma Nature will be fooled and they'll amount to something.

If not, throw them on the compost pile where in time they'll be of some good.
You cant plant spring flowering bulbs, meant to be planted in the fall so they can gain roots, in the spring.
You are 4 -5 months late.

Bookmark   March 16, 2011 at 5:28PM
More Discussions
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™