Forgot to plant Spring-flowering bulbs! Should I plant them now?

mishko_2006March 4, 2010

OK - never mind the mental implications!

I just found today commercial packets of anemone, tulip, hyacinth, muscari and daffodil bulbs, bought last summer. The last three all have small growth coming out of the ends, and the a couple of the daffs up to an inch of growth.

In my garden in Korea the resident daffs are all coming up; some early ones are about to open into flower. The hyacinths are also coming up, and the muscari are up, though they too are not yet flowering. We'll get another few nights of frost, but it's turning milder (up to 52deg F in the day).

Should I plant them quickly, keep them for next year or (sniff) throw them on the compost? Your advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Plant them now with gentle loving care. They will not hold over until fall for planting then. There may not be any blooms this year, but they should recover from the abuse and bloom for you next year.

You may want to soak the anemone before planting them. They are often planted in the spring (in colder areas anyway,) so they might bloom just fine for you this year.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Anemone Growing Instructions

Bookmark   March 4, 2010 at 6:52AM
mishko_2006

Thanks very much, Sue. I planted them all today (I soaked the anemones first) - so they're in their element at last.
I'm hoping for the best later.

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 5:52AM
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

I didnt want to start a new thread with a similar topic, i am wondering what happens when you plant them now? Will they grow and bloom this year? Or just remain dormant til next spring? Are they going to bloom this fall? Just kidding! kinda. I stumbled upon a massive bulb clearance at walmart today, bags of 12 bulbs for 1dollar! So i bought 25 bags... dont worry, none were sqishy or anything!

Bookmark   March 16, 2010 at 11:18PM
keriann_lakegeneva(5B WI/IL border)

They will produce foliage and maybe a few sad flowers, but next year they will be beautiful!

Keriann~

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 6:53AM
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Thanks again keriann, i am so glad theyll still be good!

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 9:27AM
lesviolin(so ontario)

I also did not get around to planting my bulbs last fall due to sudden illness. How would putting them in large planters now work out?
thanks!

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 11:45AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I also did not get around to planting my bulbs last fall due to sudden illness. How would putting them in large planters now work out?
What kind of bulbs are they? Growing bulbs in containers can be a lot trickier than just planting in the ground in well drained soil.

Hope you are feeling much better now.

Sue

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 1:13PM
ostrich(3a AB)

WOW! I am so glad that I am not the only one! LOL! I bought some tulip bulbs last fall, and I was going to plant them in containers. However, I never got round to doing that. I left the bulbs in the unheated (but insulated) garage, which was in the mid 30's to low 40's during winter. About a month ago, I planted the bulbs in some containers, and now they are sprouting very well in the garage!

My questions are:

1. When will it be safe to take the containers outside? It can still go to low 30's here at night.

2. How likely are they going to bloom this year, given that the bulbs were chilled in the garage? I am quite surprised by how well they are sprouting!

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
Please Help! Can I plant allium bulbs in the spring?
Hello all, I just found this website yesterday and...
midwestplantsfan
Unsure what to do with cyclamen
There are a lot of cyclamen posts but none seem to...
cosuperfly
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Reblooming tulips
I don't have good luck with tulips the second year...
els60
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™