will me emergent tulips survive this cold

njitgradMarch 13, 2014

It's brutal out there today especially with the wind. Was wondering if the tulips in my flower beds that just started breaking the surface will survive today and tonight.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)

They should.

The shorter and smaller the stems, the more cold they can take. Generally 1-3" tulip sprouts, IME, are OK into temps in the teens. The bigger danger than freeze damage is they can more easily break off when frozen (even if they'd be OK once thawed, if not broken off first).

As they get closer to bloom size, the tolerance dips a bit...but that said, I've had tulips in full bloom freeze solid in mid 20s temps and recover. Daffs are tougher still, and I've seen them in full bloom recover from temps in the upper teens. That's at bloom size. Just-emerging can go much lower, down to near zero, although leaf tips can get burned at those temperatures. Duration is also important - this is cold weather but it's short lived and will be over tomorrow.

The only time I've straight lost common spring bulb FOLIAGE (not just blooms dying or falling over) to freezing was in 1992. A week of temps in the 70s in early March brought early tulips, crocuses, and daffodils into bloom by March 8 or so. Then we dropped to NINE degrees a week later (& below freezing for over a week) and that killed them to the ground. They were all a foot tall or more by this time.

The crocuses and daffodils did send up new foliage, from below ground level, but did not bloom, although bloomed normally the following year.

The tulips never did, however, and that batch of bulbs never recovered.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 11:47AM
More Discussions
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
Panting Bulbs among Lily of the Valley
Can you plant bulbs among Lily of the Valley or ferns?...
edlincoln
surprise crocus
Hello, I'm new to this forum. This spring blooming...
forest
What happened?
How long do Tulips last? We had some come up and the...
steve46h
Will my (most likely) forced tulips ever flower again?
I bought some potted tulips in Feb. '14. I transplanted...
Amy Biondolillo
Sponsored Products
Fulham FH4-DUAL-700L Fluorescent Emergency Lighting Ballasts, 90 Minutes, 700 lu
LBC Lighting
Powell Pewter Z Loft bed
Beyond Stores
Chrysanthe Outdoor Planter
Overstock.com
Metal Lattice 6-Light 20 1/4" Wide Bronze Pendant Light
Lamps Plus
'Read Me a Story' Canvas
$24.99 | zulily
Collins Serving Tray
$79.50 | FRONTGATE
R Series Galvanized 12-Inch Outdoor Cord Radial Wave Pendant