Heirloom Bulbs Not Blooming - Need Advice

alameda/zone 8March 6, 2011

I have groupings of heirloom narcissus and a few daffodils that I brought from another farm 17 years ago - they belonged to my husband's grandmother. They come up, make leaves....but do not flower anymore like they used to. I am wondering if I should dig and divide them....if so, would now be a good time? Any hints about dividing and moving them would be appreciated. Should I fertilize? Thank you.

Judith

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Yes, divide after the foliage is halfway yellowed.

Definately add fertilizer when replanting. I like to add bonemeal (for future availablity) and a low nitrogen fertilizer.

I would also look for roots of other nearby plants that may be stealing nutrients.

Bookmark   March 6, 2011 at 4:15PM
goren

The bulbs may indeed be hungering for a better soil to grow in. Instead of fertilizer at planting time, I suggest you use a good compost instead and be sure to water the bulb in well.
Soil wears out in time, its nutrients do not feed the bulb like it used to and unless they were on a regular feeding schedule they most likely are just worn out.

Lifting and replanting has solved many a problem such as this. Changing beds seems to work for some people, and I guess, some plants as well.

Bookmark   March 7, 2011 at 5:15PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Our voluntter FAQ editor has some very detailed information of how to dig, divide, and replant daffodils. By all means, take a look.

Bookmark   March 8, 2011 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
Daffodil foliage emerging
I'm not one to panic when spring bulb foliage appears...
agardenstateof_mind
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™