Liquid Fertilizer? Dog eats Bulbtone :(

amysrq(5)March 26, 2011

Last Spring my dog got into the Bulbtone I sprinkled around my emerging bulbs...I guess it was the bone meal. I have a bottle of liquid bonemeal, but I figure there is a lot more in Bulbtone than just that. I'm wondering how I can fertilize my bulbs with some kind of liquid so the dogger won't get into it. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jollyrd(Richmond VA)

can you scratch it (the dry powder) into the soil and water it immediately? I doubt the dog will bother with that much trouble, and it would deliver the fertilizer to the bulb quickly

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 5:12PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I would suggest not using bonemeal in any shape or form, if you have a dog.

Years ago, I planted a lot of tulips, mixing bonemeal into the soil in each planing hole. My dogs did not rest until they had dug up every newly planted tulip. I'm thinking that they would do the same exact thing with liquid bonemeal.

Likewise I had always steered clear of fish emulsion and similar products. If I used that, my dogs would probably just roll on the soil, much like they do if they come across a dead critter.

I've been told to just use a low nitrogen fertilizer (for daffodils anyway), if it can be found, otherwise just use some 10-10-10 or something similar.

Sue

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Gloriosa lily in zone 7b
Does anyone have experience growing gloriosa lily (gloriosa...
southerngardening24
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™