feeding bulbs for year 2

njitgradMarch 18, 2014

How and when does one go about feeding bulbs for year 2 and beyond since they are typically buried under between 4-8 inches of soil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tuliper(7B RVA)

Many people mix in typical slow release osmocote or bone meal when planting, but that must be worked into the soil, any water soluble bulb food fert (4-8-4 for example) moving forward will do just fine.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 4:44PM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

Also when bulbs get crowded (about 5 yrs. here for daffodils) and are lifted for division, new bonemeal and/or fertilizer is added.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 2:26AM
northerner_on(Z5A ONCanada)

In botany class, I was taught that a bulb contains all the nutrients required for the plant to bloom; and that those nutrients are replenished via the foliage and that is why they are left to dry on the plant. Was anyone else taught this? For this reason, I never fertilize bulbs and have beautiful blooms each year. Any comments?

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 2:43AM
jerseygirl07603 z6NJ

I used to work in an all-purpose fertilizer when the buds showed color. But the last few years, I've been lazy and didn't add anything. I see no difference in the blooms. So I'm inclined to agree that they do not need any special attention after planting in a well-prepared bed.

Bookmark   March 20, 2014 at 5:13PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

Some of my special plantings get a nice dose of compost, most everything else has to settle for plain garden soil and seems just fine with that.

Bookmark   March 21, 2014 at 8:58PM
Barb.ADK8

I am new at planting bulbs but have successfully grown butterfly gladiolas last year. I bought a lot more for this summer as they were absolutely gorgeous!! I placed the bulbs in pots and watched them grow. This summer I plan to clip them for vases. What an easy way to get great results.

If I plant crocus bulbs in a pot will they come up for this spring or next?

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:41AM
Campanula UK Z8

I start a lot of bulbs as seeds in pots and one thing I always do around this time of year is to add a bit of sulphate of potassium to the bulb pots - it helps the bulbs to ripen and build up growth for the following year - I only do this in years 2, 3 and 4 - never the first seedling year. A spring top dressing of potassium never goes amiss to my mind.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 10:04AM
More Discussions
Need help germinating some old bulbs w/ pic
I've got these 3 old bulbs that have been sitting in...
bradleyheathhays
Ideas on Bulbs
Hello everyone, I was thinking of getting a bulb for...
nad0nad
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Please identify?
My son has these growing in his front lawn. I don't...
gardenbug
Frozen Glad Bulbs
I screwed up. Dug up my gladiolus bulbs, but left them...
gorgar1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™