Unplanted Daffodils are Sprouting- Need Advice!

taupe79(z5 Illinois)March 5, 2009

At a family reunion late last fall, I bought some daffodil bulbs at the silent auction... I thought it would be cool to have some of the same bulbs my great-granmother and great-aunts had. Unfortunately, I never was able to get them in the ground, so they have been in the ziploc baggie (with air holes) that I purchased them in, sitting on a bookshelf.

I looked more closely at them today, and they are sprouting green shoots! I need some advice.. should I plant them indoors in potting soil and let them do their thing? How do I keep them happy until this fall when I can plant them in the ground?

As happy as I am to see them sprouting, ultimately, having them in the ground (so that they can multiply for my future generations) is most important to me. I don't want to drain them of their energy...

Any advice is very welcome!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ralfsmom(5)

hi, i would plant them indoors until they can go outside.keep them fertilized and in fall put them in the ground they won't flower because they didn't have a cold period but you need to build up the blubs for next years bloom ralfsmom

Bookmark   March 5, 2009 at 8:31PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Go ahead and pot them up. Daffodils do not require chilling to bloom and whether they bloom or not they will be preserved for planting in the fall. Al

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 8:11AM
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

They may bloom if potted, or they may not. Either way they will stay alive long enough to plant them in the ground.

I would put the pots outside in the sun when the weather warms up, so they can store up some energy to make blooms next spring. When they start to wither, plant them in the ground.

You could wait til fall to plant, like Al says, but I know at my house they would get damaged, rotten or forgotten by then, lol.

Bookmark   March 11, 2009 at 11:08AM
More Discussions
Transplanting old bulbs
transplanting daffodil and other bulbs When is a good...
bigcrow007
Where does everyone order bulbs from?
I was just wondering what websites everyone uses to...
rph1234
When do oriental hybrid lilies bloom, i have some bulbs in pot outside
I brought a pot of 4 hybrid oriental lilies from home...
tlbean2004
spreaders
pushkinia, scillas, aka chionodoxa, muscari. what nice...
daves10z7annv
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
Sponsored Products
ACF by Nameeks ACF ANS26-GW New Space 39-in. Single Bathroom Vanity Set - Glossy
Hayneedle
Smooth White One-Light Outdoor Wall Lantern
$24.40 | Bellacor
4D Concepts Black Metal Chair in Black Metal [Set of 2]
Beyond Stores
Luigi Bormioli Canaletto 12-oz Double Old Fashioned Glasses (Set of 4)
Overstock.com
Free Standing Cabinets Racks & Shelves: Honey-Can-Do Garage Shelving 36 in.
$16.00 | Home Depot
Eastwood Armless Chair - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
New Antiqued Bondi Blue Oushak HandKnotted Wool 4'x6' Turkish Oriental Rug H5726
BH Sun Inc
Lola 5 Piece Queen Bedroom Set in Black
$1,276.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™