kapok tree

ray_ratliff(z10 South Florida)June 2, 2008

Hi, I want to see if anyone has grown a kapok tree as a bonsai? I am interested in it because of its deciduous flowering habits. Any feedback about your experiences with growing this type of tree as a bonsai would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Ray-

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lucy(6)

Wouldn't the flowers be too large for bonsai - fruit and flowers won't 'reduce' as leaves do, so only trees with small fruit are used, and only rarely would a somewhat large flower be tried, and then only a couple of blooms allowed to open (as with hibiscus) so as not to be completely out of proportion to the rest of the tree, even a relatively large one.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 6:09AM
ray_ratliff(z10 South Florida)

Good point Lucy! Maybe just dwarfing the tree is a better idea than trying to make a full fledged bonsai out of it.

-Ray-

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 4:34PM
leoncio516

I say go for it! Its worth a try...But its best to make it a large one for reasons already said,but if u want the tree to be small and completely clustered with colors this is the tree for it! =D just keep your distance as the tree will smell! Come on as a bonsaist as long as you shape it as art and grow it respectively at once he is on the right path! Good Luck! P.S. I am going to do the same thing when i move to florida =D

Bookmark   September 6, 2010 at 6:04PM
gardener_guy(6)

I found this site. I thought it was interesting.

http://plants.guidestobuy.com/silk-cotton-tree-10-seeds-ceiba-tropical-or-bonsai-free-shipping-on-additional-hirts-seeds

Hope it can help.

Gardener Guy

Bookmark   September 11, 2010 at 8:09AM
leoncio516

does anyone know when this tree matures? I wanted to know so when i bonsai it i know when to expect the first blooms.

Bookmark   September 13, 2010 at 7:08PM
Melrilla

I do own a kapok bonsai wich was grown from seed and is about 3 years old I've had no problemes with the tree has is quite a hardy plant my first kapok tree looked horrible becuase it was thin and long but my second one i kept in a shallow pot for about 2 years and kept feeding it water so it started to swell very fast and is now in a deeper pot so that it can gain length becuase the leaves are big so i'm trying to keep it in proportion

Bookmark   October 6, 2014 at 4:42AM
More Discussions
Weeping Willow....
The old Thread that I posted on this Weeping Willow...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
American Hornbeam: Leaf Damage, Possible Pest Problem, Need Help!
Hi all, thanks in advance for reading this post and...
ZeBonsai Kers
Will a Holly. make a good Bosnia?
I just bought a holly in a six inch pot. It just says...
plantermunn
New Bonsai Azalea Budding in Winter- Halp!
I just got an Azalea bonsai for Christmas and it was...
emcc123
great nebari
Hello everyone, I am starting to experiment with ways...
halocline
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™