Best Container Tree for Indoors

baconquestJanuary 22, 2013

Hey Everyone!

I've enjoyed learining from everyone on this forum so much that I'm looking to add to my container collection (I currently have a meyer lemon!).

I'm looking for a tree that will do well in a 5 gal container in my house year-round. Conditions are all indirect sunlight, althought the room gets a fair amount of indirect year-round. It should also have the potential to get to 5-6 ft at least. "Hard to kill" is a must, although I'm getting more confident in my container gardening abilities as I learn more about soil conditions and fertilizing (thanks Al and MeyerMike!)

Anyways, any input is more than welcomed, also figured it would be a fun topic for everyone to chime in on their personal favorites!

-Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Where do you live?

Al

Bookmark   January 22, 2013 at 10:05PM
baconquest

Should have specified. Central MA, zone 5b. By the way, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your posts on soil and fert. They saved my meyer!

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 9:31AM
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

I have a little norfolk pine that does great indoors.

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 1:08PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I'm happy you found some of my offerings useful. Thanks for the kind words, too.

Probably easiest/least picky of the indoor trees is schefflera. Some people find Ficus benjamina a little temperamental, but they do well for me. If you have good light, China doll is another possibility, but they can get rangy pretty quickly.

Al

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 6:18PM
dan4279

I have a decent sized ficus I grow inside in Massachusetts that does pretty well. I don't find it that picky and love the way it looks. I also agree with Al in that scheffs are real easy, but to me scheffs look better as a bush and ficus look great as a tree.

Dan

Bookmark   January 23, 2013 at 11:14PM
baconquest

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'm going to go wih the ficus. They're readily available and sound like it will do pretty good in the space I have in mind. The last time I made 5-1-1 I ended up with about 5 gallons overage, looks like I'll have something to put it to good use!

Bookmark   January 24, 2013 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Apartment composting and container gardening.
Any tips or tricks using apartment compost with your...
newgardenelf
Al and others..Foliage Pro fertilizer?
I just wanted to get an update on what you think of...
meyermike_1micha
RE: Introductory post-C.S-W.M&RXXI 1-27-15
Hi everyone, In my very 1st post, I described how by...
halocline
Raised Bed Question
I bought 2 raised beds, 6' x 6' x 10". Can I stack...
sokrmomtx
I have a cold, south facing porch. What container flowers might grow?
It's cold there now. In a few weeks nothing will free...
Blue Hills Gardens and Designs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™