Bulbs that don't need to be dug up

whiteforest(6 MI)March 25, 2012

What are some flowering bulbs that can stay in the ground year-round? I'm working on filling in areas with perennials (hostas, bleeding hearts, hydrangeas, daylilies, etc, etc.) and I'd like to stick in some things that will come up and flower earlier, before the other perennials take over.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
newyorkrita(z6b/7a LI NY)

Spring bulbs like Daffodils, crocus, Chionodoxa. Also summer flowering bulbs of lilies. I think daffodils are a must and will return faithfully year after year. Tulips are lovely but not so great at returning.

A great source for those spring bulbs that you plant in the fall is scheepers. They don't have their 2012 shopping cart up yet so you can't order yet but the index is up and they are very similiar from year to year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scheepers

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 1:38PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Plus - Spring - Snowdrops, aconites, scillas, puschkinia, some fritillaries, hyacinths, hyacinthoides, some corydalis, erythroniums(native), camassias (native), some anemones, species gladioli, species tulips, some irises ..... Summer - Alliums. Autumn - autumn crocus, colchicum, sternbergia, nerine ...

Bookmark   March 25, 2012 at 1:47PM
hepatica_z7

There are some reliably perennial tulips too. The greggei family(sp?), Impression tulips, and most of the multi-flowering ones. I have Toronto in the same spot, never divided, blooming well for more than ten years. I also have some unknown red-yellow-orange streaked that I bought as a newbie from one of those screaming circulars that called them Rembrandt tulips. They have been in place for twenty years and still bloom reliably.

It sounds like you will have a lovely, season-long display with those plans. Enjoy!

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 9:50PM
More Discussions
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
Experience with Ordering from Brecks or Royal Dutch Catalogs??
Has anyone ordered spring flowering bulbs from either...
bobk_stl
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™