Common Privet on it's last leaf

JynxiaJune 4, 2013

My privet was bought for me last summer as a gift and I kept it as an indoor plant ( it was the vendors suggestion) throughout the harsh winter and most of the spring. When this years spring started warming up, I realised the leaves started failing until the tree was bare.

After reading more about bonsai, I realised the tree should be kept outdoors in the shade and requires the winter weather as a rest period.

My tree is now bare, but the trunk is still green under the bark. It's sitting north-west on my window sill where it's exposed to a few hours of full sunlight, but most of the day in the shade.

*My question: Is this tree dead? If not, how long should I wait to see signs of improvement?

Any help appreciated, thank you.
J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Temperate trees deprived of a cold rest might enter dormancy at any time, even in the middle of the summer. This is usually fatal, but occasionally the tree can be saved if it's refrigerated for a period long enough to release the tree from it's dormant state ....... if in fact this is what actually occurred, and the tree hasn't shed its leaves as a drought response to over-watering, under-watering, or a high level of soluble salts in the soil.

You should probably see what's going on in the root zone. Keeping the roots happy is essential to a healthy plant.

Al

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
Growing Conifers from cutting.
Hi, I recently took some conifer cuttings ( cedar,...
Joshua Hughes
Who's Going to MABA show in July?
Wondering if anyone from GW is planning to attend the...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
root pruning saws
Hi everybody, can anybody show me a picture & give...
halocline
Anybody grow mini bonsai Wisteria from seed?
I thought I had American but I now know it is either...
rubyhum
Eastern White Pine
hi, I have a small eastern white pine intended for...
bigbiglew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™