Common Privet on it's last leaf

JynxiaJune 4, 2013

My privet was bought for me last summer as a gift and I kept it as an indoor plant ( it was the vendors suggestion) throughout the harsh winter and most of the spring. When this years spring started warming up, I realised the leaves started failing until the tree was bare.

After reading more about bonsai, I realised the tree should be kept outdoors in the shade and requires the winter weather as a rest period.

My tree is now bare, but the trunk is still green under the bark. It's sitting north-west on my window sill where it's exposed to a few hours of full sunlight, but most of the day in the shade.

*My question: Is this tree dead? If not, how long should I wait to see signs of improvement?

Any help appreciated, thank you.
J

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Temperate trees deprived of a cold rest might enter dormancy at any time, even in the middle of the summer. This is usually fatal, but occasionally the tree can be saved if it's refrigerated for a period long enough to release the tree from it's dormant state ....... if in fact this is what actually occurred, and the tree hasn't shed its leaves as a drought response to over-watering, under-watering, or a high level of soluble salts in the soil.

You should probably see what's going on in the root zone. Keeping the roots happy is essential to a healthy plant.

Al

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
My pine bonsai is in bag inside pot, what do I do?
New to bonsai, Ive had a pine bonsai thats roots came...
jellywave
Your first Bonsai
So, for the moment I have to live vicariously through...
ridgie
Help! Brand new to bonsai and need design tips!
Hello all. First time posting. I received a gift of...
benpcoleman1
PLEASE HELP MY BONSAI!
Hi, I've had my bonsai for a year, ligustrum, it was...
nicoleaspen24
New to bonsai
Hey there. I am relatively new to indoor plants although...
ecj2015
Sponsored Products
Eagle One Double Alexandra Rocking Chair - C368BLK
$769.99 | Hayneedle
Performance Textiles Bed Bug & Dust Mite Control Polypropylene All-In-One Mattre
Overstock.com
Forest Green Keitha Hand-Hooked Wool-Blend Rug
$249.99 | zulily
Nourison Regal REG05 Area Rug - 5501
$795.00 | Hayneedle
Coral & Ivory Diego Wool Rug
$32.99 | zulily
Garden Smile Rock Garden Statue - 111R
$49.99 | Hayneedle
AICO Furniture - Monte Carlo II 7 Piece Queen Poster Bedroom Set...
Great Furniture Deal
French Feather Swirl Throw Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™