transplanting bulbs before leaves yellow

donna447March 28, 2009

I know that it is best to wait until daffodil leaves have turned yellow to transplant. However, I have some in window boxes that have finished blooming and I'd like to move them into the yard. Since they are planted shallow it will be easy to get bulb and roots without damaging anything. Can they finish "dying back" after transplanted? Will they bloom next year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

it will be easy to get bulb and roots without damaging anything. Can they finish "dying back" after transplanted? Will they bloom next year?
I think it would be fine to do it now. Chances are if they are disturbed very little, they won't even know they have been moved. In all likelihood, they should bloom just fine next year.

Sue

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 6:48PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I moved about 300 daffodils about a month ago. I am in the process of building a potager and they were in the way. Not wanting to waste them, I broke all the rules and took a chance. I planted them into very good soil as I dug them so they weren't out of the ground for very long, but I did divide them. Once they were in the ground, I watered them very well. The tips of the foliage browned a bit, but they are all still green. Since they are looking so good, I am going to give them a sprinkle of bulb food this week. I don't have a strong expectation of them blooming next year, but if they do, great. At this point, all I want is for them to live, and I am optimistic. If you could wait 8 weeks after they bloom, you'd be virtually assured of blooms next year, but if not, you should still be able to save the bulbs.

Bookmark   March 29, 2009 at 6:12PM
katob Z6ish, NE Pa

I've had good luck moving green bulbs. Since I usually forget where they are after the leaves die back I always dig them early, sometimes right after the blooms fade and then just replant elsewhere.... except for tulips, I try to wait till about half the plants start to yellow a little before digging and drying and storing till fall.

Bookmark   March 30, 2009 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Any small tulips which voles & squirrels won't eat?
I would love to plant some small tulips, in the 4 to...
Eimer
what to do now, amaryllis?
My amaryllis had 5 large blooms, than sent up another stock...
penroy
Crocus Bulbs in Fridge
I fell behind in the fall and ordered some crocus bulbs...
bahamutangel
Snowdrops in the green...
Does anyone know of a source for purchasing snowdrops...
scott_madison
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™