Juniper Bonsai Basic?

char027June 13, 2014

I just received a Juniper Bonsai as a gift from a friend. I've read the basics of care that came with the tree as well as instructions on various online sites. However, most of these instructions are not specific to caring for this lovely tree in the AZ desert. The one site that had AZ specific instructions did not help much because everything on it sounded like a foreign language.

Therefore, I need a simple clear explanation of how not to kill this lovely tree. Keep in mind, I know little about desert life (having lived in the Midwest until a year ago) and even less about juniper bonsai. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Outdoors year-round, and probably grown under a shade-cloth or trellis or in filtered sunlight (if the plant is in a typical bonsai container). Use a nice porous mix of finely-screened conifer bark, perlite, and other porous grit (pumice, scoria, turface, DE, et cetera). Water and fertilize regularly during the growing season.

Josh

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:00PM
char027

Josh,
Thanks for the feedback.

I did not even realize this message had posted because I got an error message when I posted it. I have since posted a more detailed message and hope to get additional feedback regarding the specific challenges of dealing with this tree in the AZ heat.

BTW-When is "the growing season"?

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 12:55PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

The main growing season is when the tree is most active, basically late Winter to late Autumn. Water it year-round, of course, but fertilize with a much lighter dose during the deep Winter when growth has slowed.

Josh

Bookmark   June 17, 2014 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
From seedling
I was just wondering how do I grow my plant into a...
Shivam Shetty
New nursery stock Japanese Maple Shania help pls
Hi everyone... I was at a local nursery this weekend...
RGodman
Will a Holly. make a good Bosnia?
I just bought a holly in a six inch pot. It just says...
plantermunn
Eastern White Pine
hi, I have a small eastern white pine intended for...
bigbiglew
great nebari
Hello everyone, I am starting to experiment with ways...
halocline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™