Question about container bulbs

kimcocoMarch 16, 2009

The good news is my red tulips that I planted in November are peeking through right now. :)

The bad news is I ran out of time to plant the rest of my spring blooming bulbs - muscari, hyacinth, some tulips, daffodils and crocus - some of these high quality, some local not-so-high-quality.

I stored them in my basement (low humidity) until late January. With the ground already frozen, I finally planted these in layers in planters and stored them in my uninsulated attic and watered well at planting time with an organic bulb fertilizer. MOST bulbs still looked nice quality.

Questions -

Will these still bloom?

When do I put the planters outside in the sun? Right now they are in attic at east facing window.

If feasible, when can I transplant bulbs to an outdoor location for future blooms? Ideally I'd like to get them in the ground for future seasons.

Thanks for feedback. This is my first with bulb planting as I'm sure you already figured out!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ladychroe(z6 NJ)

They might still bloom, if it was cold enough in your attic. My attic is not cold enough to force most bulbs. You may have some buds come up, but then blast (abort). Bring the puts down when the sprouts are 3-5" tall.

But even if it doesn't work out, all your bulbs (except for the tulips) will settle into your outside garden and bloom for many years to come. Plant them outside after they bloom- or if they don't bloom, just plant them out in April or so. They're not too picky as long as their leaves are allowed to ripen and then yellow in the sun.

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 2:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimcoco

Thanks again Ladychroe

My attic is absolutely freezing in the wintertime (old house), and I believe the temp in the basement was probably closer to 50-60 degrees (where I had them stored prior to February). Some bulbs, I think it was the daffs, had short sprouts on them by the time I got around to container planting.

They are just now starting to peek through the soil in my container plantings, I can hardly wait to see them bloom and get them in their permanent locations.

Bookmark   March 18, 2009 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Can you identify my amaryllis?
I bought one in a box---you know the ones that come...
newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
Miracle Gro for Narcissus?
Is the 'all- purpose' Miracle-Gro okay to use for feeding...
Theresa McHarney
tulips - when to stop watering? how to cut?
I have two questions regarding tulips: 1. when the...
anna_beth
Tulips, coming up, leaf tips now yellow...
So this is the issue...planted a ton of bulbs in pots...
pinkkpearls
40% bulb sale on Van Engelen
in case anyone is interested.
KarenPA_6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™