Tulipa saxatilis, again.

tugbrethilMarch 15, 2010

Can anyone please tell me when this species is supposed to bloom? The leaves on mine are all up and apparently done growing, but there is still no sign of flower buds. This is their first year, so should I just posess myself of patience, and wait for next year. Or is there something I did wrong, that I need to correct this fall? Any info appreciated!

Kevin : )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sunandshadow

Hmm, I have some humilis tulips, they're not quite the same but look the same. On the humilis, the bud is first visible as a small pinkish nub deep down in the center of the leaves. Can only really be seen from directly above. That's the stage they are at currently in zone 6, I would expect zone 9 to be further along unless you just planted them a few weeks ago.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 6:02PM
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

I just planted the same kind late fall and they were the first to sprout leaves. Way back when we were all getting the snow storms I had 3" of leaves. The leaves are quite tall now but I have no buds yet, either. So I guess we just need to be patient.

Bonnie

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 6:43PM
tugbrethil

I just found one sprout that is working on its third leaf, but all the rest have just one. I still have hope that the "busy" sprout will bloom, but it looks like I need to let the others grow up.

Kevin : )

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 3:04AM
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24

Mine are just blooming now in Sunset zone 24. This is their 2nd year - I don't think they bloomed last year.
Ruth

Bookmark   March 17, 2010 at 4:42PM
brit5467(7b/8a Coastal VA)

Kevin - Just went out and looked closely and I do see one tiny bulb trying to pop up. It DOES have more than one leaf, but the rest seem like tug's...with only one leaf
each, maybe a few with two.

I'll call them my 'mystery bulbs' and cross my fingers.

bonnie

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 12:25PM
More Discussions
Relocating daffodils
I have a number of daffodil clumps that are either...
madabouteu
daves10z7annv
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Anyone growing Dutch Iris ?
Is anyone growing or has anyone grown Dutch Iris ? What...
maximus2015
Phaedranassa dubia
Hi all, I bought this bulb couple of months ago. It...
radhavall
Sponsored Products
Small Tulipa Vase
$14.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™