Can I save my Juniper Bonsai?

MonicalyJune 26, 2014

I bought my juniper bonsai around Christmas time, and I didn't realize it had spider mites. The infestation got pretty bad, and there were cobwebs growing on the plant. I got an insecticide, and I think I got rid of the mites, but I'm not sure. There were no more cobwebs, but the tree hasn't really bounced back. I haven't treated it for mites in a few months, but maybe they are still there? I am not sure how to tell. It still looks dead in many places, but seems to have 2 fairly healthy branches. The picture I included makes it look a little healthier than it actually is. The leaves are slightly less green in real life.
It was 10 years old when I got it, and I've had it for about 6 months. I water it every other day by pouring water on the soil. The pot sits on a tray, and I used to let the water run into the tray and leave it there, but now I dump the water out immediately. Maybe there is a problem with root rot? It sits on the coffee table in my living room, and gets indirect sunlight there.
Is there anything I can do to save this tree? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Monicaly

This picture is a close-up of what the leaves look like. The perspective is from the top looking down.

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 10:19PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Looks pretty bad. Has it been indoors this whole time?
Juniper is an outdoor tree exclusively.

Josh

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 10:08PM
moochinka

If you are watering as you said, every other day, never mind being indoors and in what looks like potting soil, your tree has probably been dead a long time. Such trees may stay 'green' for a long time as well, but that doesn't mean they're alive. If the foliage is hard, inflexible, and breaks off when handled, it's dead.

Bookmark   June 27, 2014 at 11:55PM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

Oh, I wasn't suggesting that moving the tree outdoors would be a curative. Just pointing out what most likely killed it :-)

Josh

Bookmark   June 28, 2014 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
aerial roots
I have a sheflera bonsai that sprouted a number of...
davidfromdetroit
Anybody grow mini bonsai Wisteria from seed?
I thought I had American but I now know it is either...
rubyhum
Who's Going to MABA show in July?
Wondering if anyone from GW is planning to attend the...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
training pots
hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has ever...
halocline
From seedling
I was just wondering how do I grow my plant into a...
Shivam Shetty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™