Anyone know anything about Dixie Bulbs?

vvesper(7TN)March 24, 2010

I found dixiebulbs.com on the internet on a search for heirloom daffodils. I've not been able to find any vendor reviews anywhere, nor any references in the forums. One thing they are doing which I thought sounded very cool is a daffodil "rescue" program for heirloom bulbs. They are rescuing bulbs (with permission) from some old homesites where development is imminent and the bulbs are thus threatened. I ordered some (not very expensive), but I also had emailed them a question and I have not heard back in about 2 weeks now. I think they are probably a VERY small operation. Maybe my email didn't go through, but it did not bounce back to me. So I was starting to wonder if anyone else had any experience with them? Anyone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
keithf25(8)

I had not heard of them either until your post. I love the idea of having some 'historic' heirloom daffs, so I wrote them with a few questions yesterday. Lo and behold I got a response today! I have ordered some Butter & Eggs and the Southern Farm Mix. They should ship around the end of May or beginning of June. Hopefully you will hear from them soon.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 9:24PM
vvesper(7TN)

Thanks, Keith! Maybe my email just didn't go through. I will try again. I'm excited about the idea, too, especially to rescue bulbs that would otherwise be just plowed under for development projects. Plus, these are all bulbs that should increase well in the south - which many daffodils do not!

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 8:14AM
vvesper(7TN)

Wanted to give the update that I have heard back from Kris, the owner of Dixie Bulbs. She is out digging alot and has plenty of bulbs. One thing they are doing on their own property is trialing heirloom bulbs to be grown as cut flowers in the Deep South to try to create another option for agriculture in that area. Expect response to emails to sometimes be slow. I will be excited to see the bulbs themselves and how they do here...

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 8:16AM
More Discussions
When should you see buds within tulip foliage?
So, I have some tulip foliage sprouting in the garden....
ffreidl z5a
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
what's goin' on
grocery store tulips , and am i blue
daves10z7annv
(Cheap) Alternatives to Peat Moss
I need to store some bulbs over the winter and wonder...
dlangend1120
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
Sponsored Products
Emerald Lorena Platinum Grey Chair
Overstock.com
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Surya Rugs Candice Olson Winter White 2 ft. 6in. x 8 ft.
Home Depot
At The Top Print
$16.99 | Dot & Bo
Philips | Palette F3511 2 Light Bath Sconce
$298.00 | YLighting
39" Trendy Gray Granite Stone Bathroom Trough Sink - FIGARO
Living'ROC
Gloss White Poly Resin Table Lamp and Paisley Shade
$155.95 | Bellacor
Hand Knotted Wool Made In A Village 5'x3' Red Veg Dyed Persian Balouch Rug P1036
$74.00 | BH Sun Inc
Runner Rug: Candice Olson Beige 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™