When to Transplant Snowdrops & Daffodils?

ZoeCat17March 20, 2012

This is the first spring in our new (to us) house and I was pleasantly surprised last month by a clump of snowdrops that bloomed in my garden. Unfortunately, they're on the side of the house near the A/C unit and I'd like to move them to a better spot.

Now that the flowers are gone, is it safe to move them? Or should I wait until the greens are gone too? And if I wait for the greens to die back, should I also wait until fall when I'll be putting in other bulbs?

I've also got a big clump of daffodils that I'd like to move as well, but those are still in bloom.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Snowdrops are traditionally recommended to be transplanted 'in the green' ie after flowering but while still leafy. However, I believe that this is now out of fashion a as recent research refutes it. But it's always worked for me and is still practised by many growers.

I've moved daffs in growth and as dormant bulbs. Can't say I've registered much difference in the small numbers I've done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alternative view on transplanting snowdrops

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 6:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

My snow drops have been next to one of my compost piles for many years. As I have used compost just about all over the garden, I have inadvertently moved snow drops just about everywhere. They seem happy where ever they turn up, and I am too. Al

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 8:47AM
More Discussions
Poll: share what is blooming for you!
My brother in Zone 8 has daffodils blooming! What...
posierosie_zone7a__
forgot to plant bulbs- now they're sprouting- what can I do?
Hi I realise this question has already been asked but...
dysphorea
What is this weed bulb?
This is some sort of bulb - all I know about it. It...
jacqueline9CA
identify tulips
I have 2 tulips that I need help identifying. The little...
jessica_h
Help! Ranunculus drooping.
I live in Zone 9-9b and planted some ranunculus plants...
av3108
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™